APEX reverse foot rig

782   4   3
3 posts
Hi all, I've been exploring the latest APEX updates and have been trying to get the APEX Autorig Component's reverse foot rig to work on a simple single leg setup (so shouldn't have to worry about the mirror attrib) for a few days now. FK, IK/Multi IK all work as expected but I just can't seem to get the reverse foot to function like it does on the Electra demo scene.

I've tried orienting the foot facing the X and Z axes to see if it makes any difference but the ik-tip never follows the foot roll movements no matter what I try. To add to this, the auto generated foot-ball locator always gets offset in an unexpected fashion.
I've also tried out adding the toe, heel and roll guides using a rig-vop like they do in the Character switching demo but that doesn't seem to do anything either.
I've enclosed the very simple setup that I've been trying to get it working on. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, or make a very 101 hip-knee-ankle-foot example for me I'd really appreciate it! I should note - whenever I've pulled apart the Electra demo file and tried to rebuild the rig manually with the auto-components, i can never get the reverse foot rig to work properly as well (matching all the input names/tags etc)

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Attachments:
leg_starter.hipnc (382.5 KB)

Staff
49 posts
Hi there,
I Have tweaked your scene file a little.

There are a couple of things:
  • The fktransform needs to be set to Guides.skel
  • The reverse foot currently only work when using the houdini default orientations
    which is Z down the chain.
  • Leveling the tip control and then using the reverse foot causes the offsets to not align properly. Please be carefull when using the level controls, The reverse foot needs the original orientations on the controls in order to work

Attachments:
leg_starter_fix.hipnc (510.3 KB)

3 posts
Thanks so much for the detailed explanations William!
3 posts
Hey William, me again! It's almost working now with a mirrored joint chain.. However the toes are getting pushed backwards.. The pivot points that the autoscript generate seem to be in the right place. I've tried blasting out the toe joints to see if the auto generated ones work better, but they do the same thing.
I have a sneaking suspicion it's something to do with the mirror attribute, but not sure exactly what.

Ok, after some trial and error and much clicking, it seems like I should have been adding the mirror tag to the side of the skeleton that I mirrored from (the original branch), rather than the side that*is* the mirror....
Edited by martial_loh - Sept. 2, 2024 11:37:01

Attachments:
simple_leg_again_v002.hipnc (541.9 KB)

Staff
49 posts
Hi there, I just had a look at your latest scene file.
Please remember that the orientation of the joints are very important in any rig, just having them face random directions will create confusion and sadness.

The mirror tag should be on the mirror side of the rig (in this case the right side of the model), what was happening is that the orientations where flipped on the non mirror side of the rig which caused it to flip.

I have included some notes in the hip file, hope this helps.
Edited by william_harley - Sept. 3, 2024 03:03:01

Attachments:
simple_leg_again_v002_edit.hipnc (542.9 KB)

• Quick Links