Quaternion/Rotation Issue from Point Deform

147   0   1
5 posts
Hello all, I'm having some quaternion/rotation issue when orienting geometry being copied onto a bunch of deforming points.

Here's my graph;

basically I'm spawning geo on scattered points which are being deformed by a proxy grid mesh.

The orient attribute is created from an attributeVOP that's making use of the updated `up` attribute as the proxy grid is being deformed.
*The align node has `from` as 0, 1, 0
*rot is assigned a random value in the Y-axis as the geo's initial rotation - rad(fit(rand(@ptnum), 0, 1, 0, 360))

My issue;

-I noticed that if the proxy grid has any twist applied, my spawned geo will undergo an *additional* 360deg (maybe more) rotation on the `up` vector as it orients itself according to the deforming proxy grid.
-If the proxy grid has no twist applied, the orientations are stable and behave as expected.
-Am I doing something wrong in the attributeVOP that's messing up the orient/quaternion values being fed into the copy to points?

I'm assuming my points are taking the "long way/other rotation" to arrive at the same orientation hence it appears to spin around the `up` axis. I noticed this happens as the points approach 180deg of rotation (it can happen around 140deg, not just after 180deg).
Edited by LearningPointCloud - Sept. 13, 2024 10:42:05

Attachments:
hip_graph.png (66.7 KB)
hip_attribvop.png (41.1 KB)
hip_deformed.png (785.7 KB)

• Quick Links