Select Edge Loop

201   2   1
465 posts
I need to select a lot of edgeloops on tripled geometry.

In XSI this is not an issue, I double click on an edgeloop and most of the time it nicely selects the proper loop.

Not so much in Houdini, it works fine on quads, but with this geometry no matter what I try, LMB double click, Shift+A etc. it gives me bogus.

Is there some setting I can adjust to get a proper edge selection in Houdini ? I tried 20.0.751 and 20.5.360 but same difference. Because with the way edgeloop selections currently work in Houdini, something that should take a few minutes will take me hours.

Attachments:
select_loop.jpg (191.8 KB)

133 posts
As far as I know, there are no good ways. Selecting a loop is always a problem for Houdini. It stops working on ngons, or on points with a large number of edges, sometimes not reaching them, and sometimes the loop simply inexplicably goes in one direction but not in the other. How many copies were broken in correspondence with the developers, but the problem remained, although the situation has become better.
Try adding in pieces via Shift + A and remember that the second press of A changes the loop calculation mode. Sometimes this helps.
Or someone will make a wrangle that selects the next edge by angle.
465 posts
Hey thanks.

Bummer, I kind of was hoping for some kind of secret setting that would improve this to the level of XSI. Because it obviously is possible.

This is not the first time something basic that has been possible for ages, one would expect to simply work, that could be done in a few minutes in any other app will take a lot of time in Houdini because it has been completely ignored.

Let’s hope someday SideFX will invest some time in basic modeling or animation features and releasing stuff that simply works, instead of half baked buggy features and a lot the bells and whistles to create some media attention.

I’ve been submitting a lot af RFE’s about stuff like this, and so far mostly silence…
  • Quick Links