Problem with Feathers, how can i export them to c4d?

1082   7   1
10 posts
Hello guys,

i have a question regarding Feathers. The new feature is amazing, but i would like to be able to export on to another software for rendering.

Everytime i try to export them, im only able to export splines, not the actual feathers, and i dont know what else to do, i have watched a lot of videos and i cant seem to find the answer.

Can someone help me?

If i cant export them as they are on houdini, i would be happy exporting them as geometry so i can add later a texture, but i have also tried that without luck.

I have attached some screenshots so you can better what mean, the first is the feathers on houdini and the other is the export on c4d.

Thanks in advance¡

Attachments:
feathers houdini.png (1.3 MB)
c4d export.png (239.9 KB)

93 posts
Hello,

You need to uncondense them before exporting to another software, using the Feather Uncondense SOP. This will convert feathers to curves (shaft+barbs) with attributes.
Edited by ObeidaZakzak - Jan. 13, 2024 05:48:50
Houdini Pipeline Supervisor @ TAT Studio
10 posts
ObeidaZakzak
Hello,

You need to uncondense them before exporting to another software, using the Feather Uncondense SOP. This will convert feathers to curves (shaft+barbs) with attributes.

Hello¡

thanks a lot for the answer, it worked perfectly.

Hope you dont mind but I have another question regarding exporting feathers, if you can answer it would be amazing.

I want to export them now as surfaces, so i can add a texture on them. I want to export what i see on the node "feathervisualize" with the barb mode on surface, it will look perfectly with the texture. But when i try to export it with the rop alembic output, it only exports the splines.

Theres a way to export the feathers as geometry? i mean the geometry i see on that node. I have attached a screenshot of what i want to export.

Hope you can help¡

Attachments:
visualize.png (860.2 KB)

93 posts
Take a look at the Feather Surface node, it converts feathers to polygons, and make sur to use Feather Resample node before to reduce the number of points along the shaft.
Edited by ObeidaZakzak - Jan. 17, 2024 12:36:08
10 posts
ObeidaZakzak
Take a look at the Feather Surface node, it converts feathers to polygons, and make sur to use Feather Resample node before to reduce the number of points along the shaft.

Im getting this error when i put the feather surface node, everything dissapears if i click it

Attachments:
error feathers.png (792.4 KB)

93 posts
It's hard to tell, but based on your previous screenshot, did you uncondensed feathers before using the Feather Surface node ? This will not work.

Make sur that you use the original feathers as input to feather surface node.

EDIT : and based on the very first screenshot of this thread, you seem to already have the polygons out of vellum solver ? I believe that you can export them (if they still have UVs, and if their quality is enough for you)
Edited by ObeidaZakzak - Jan. 17, 2024 13:38:55
1 posts
Hi,
Is it possible to preserve clump gap/holes when converting feather to surface? feather surface do not seems to provide group for that.
Staff
637 posts
joQan
Hi,
Is it possible to preserve clump gap/holes when converting feather to surface? feather surface do not seems to provide group for that.

Not currently, but it is something I have planned for the future.
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
  • Quick Links