Redshift for Houdini 20.5

3058   11   0
2 posts
hello there,

I have seen someone used Redshift with the last houdini version but the last plugin I have is the 20.0.751 in my redshift plugin folder.
How it's possible to use redshift with Houdini 20.5?

Thx for reading
253 posts
You can download 'early release' plugins here, before they are included in the official Redshift 'production builds':
https://redshift.maxon.net/topic/31230/houdini-solaris-plugins-custom-builds [redshift.maxon.net]

In the download there are plugins for both the 'Houdini' and 'Solaris' folders. On windows add these to:
C/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/ and .../Solaris.

If you are using a more recent Houdini build than the plugin is designed for, it's likely it will still work.
At the time of this post the latest Redshift early build plugin is for Houdini 20.5.278, but the latest Houdini build is 20.5.307.
Having copied them, simply rename the 'Houdini' and 'Solaris' plugin folders to the build number you are using - eg rename "20.5.278" to "20.5.307".
Houdini will throw an error on launch warning you of the plugin mis-match, but for the most part you can ignore that and things will work as expected.

The Redshift 'production build' plugins get updated as new builds of Redshift are released.
Edited by Mike_A - Aug. 1, 2024 04:40:19
36 posts
Hi, and thank you for this valuable info!- I followed a tutorial, created 5 months ago, and I couldn't get it to work (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pknw4SpEEr4); can you please tell me, I have the two plugins on my desktop, that you offered, thanks, where shall I put "Houdini", and "Solaris" folders ?, my conf. is this: please see attached, and thank you for your time
PS-I never head of using the Solaris folder, but I'll follow your lead

Attachments:
Houdini-destination.jpg (111.9 KB)

36 posts
PS-my Houdini 20.5.278. doesnt have a plugins folder
253 posts
The folders you are looking for are in C/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/...
Not in the Houdini folders. Re-read the post above.
36 posts
thank you
36 posts
thank you
36 posts
thanks, but this doesn't work for me
253 posts
In that case I suspect your houdini.env file, or your Houdini packages file is not set up correctly.
I use the attached Redshift.json file in my C/users/username/documents/houdini20.5/packages folder.

Image Not Found
Edited by Mike_A - Aug. 1, 2024 04:36:48

Attachments:
Redshift.json (333 bytes)

36 posts
Thank you for all of your efforts, and time; it is still not working, after following your directions. I will try to settle this on my own, I'd rather not waste your time, I appreciate this Best, Craig

Attachments:
jason-destination.png (20.9 KB)

253 posts
As a final attempt: check your C/users/username/documents/Houdini20.5/Houdini.env file.
if you're are using the redshift.json package file as above, you don't want a duplicate in your env file.
If there are any Redshift lines in there you could comment them out in a plain text editor with a "# " at the start of the line.

Otherwise I'm out of ideas. Maybe raise a thread at the official Redshift forum?

I hope you get it fixed.
Edited by Mike_A - Aug. 1, 2024 09:10:40
1 posts
If you've been having trouble getting Redshift to work in Houdini 20.5, you're not alone. I’ve put together a detailed tutorial that walks through the process of setting up Redshift in Houdini 20.5, including how to fix the common render errors that some of you might be experiencing.

The tutorial also covers how to resolve the render abort error by properly configuring OCIO.
I guide you through everything from downloading the necessary files to setting up a JSON file to ensure Houdini can locate them correctly.

Install and Fix Render Issues with Houdini 20.5 and Redshift [youtu.be]

I hope this video helps!
  • Quick Links