Find curvature on axis

2543   6   2
767 posts
I have a question regarding the measure sop.

The curvature attribute of the measure sop, doesn't it calculate the curvature of the entire surface; and if so, how do I control the curvature of the surface on an particular axis ?

This is my dirty code, although it's not giving me float values then applying that to the Cd attribute it is behaving like a boolean.

@Cd = ch("ycontrol",@curvature) >= .4;
【T】【C】【S】
24 posts
Created a tool a little while back that calculates normalized curvature of a mesh, concave, convex or both.

You can use the tool or the measure sop and then multiply it by the absolute dot product of the point normal and the world axis. It would go as follows:

float curvature = calculate this either with measure or with my tool;
float curvatureXaxis = abs(dot(@N,{1,0,0})) * curvature;

@Cd = curvatureXaxis; // for a quick visualization

You can remap the dot product for further control of the mask.

Tighe Rzankowski

trzankofx@gmail.com
767 posts
I watched your tutorial, three times; great job

You mean something as such ? I'm not seeing a change when adjusting the channel ?

float curvature = @curvature;
float curvatureXaxis = ch("Ycontrol",abs(dot(@N,{1,0,0})))*curvature;
@Cd = curvatureXaxis;
【T】【C】【S】
7814 posts
ch() normally takes one argument, the name of the channel. The second argument in the two argument signature control the time of the evaluation. Are you trying to access different points in time of an animation channel?
767 posts
The ch() function takes two arguments, one being the name of the channel the second can be a float, which is what I'm supplying.

I want to use the channel to control how much the of the curvature is applied to the mesh. Although visually I'm not seeing any changes to the mesh ?
【T】【C】【S】
767 posts
@trzanko - I got it working; thanks to your code. Sorry there was brain fart the other day; I thought I'd update you and let you know thanks for the help.
【T】【C】【S】
24 posts
Christopher_R
@trzanko - I got it working; thanks to your code. Sorry there was brain fart the other day; I thought I'd update you and let you know thanks for the help.

Awesome! Happy to help
Tighe Rzankowski

trzankofx@gmail.com
  • Quick Links