Simple mesh baker outputs all black textures!

2006   7   2
47 posts
Hey everyone,

I am trying to use the simple mesh baker but the textures I get out of them turn out black!

I have tried a cage mesh and increasing ray bias up to 0.3 and still nothing. Both object are very high poly, and the topology doesn't match up exactly. But it should work. Anyone know any solution?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found
Windows 7| 24 GB RAM DDR3| AMD Athlon X4 760K Quad Core Processor 3,8 Ghz | Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
47 posts
Here are the pictures. I had some issues uploading them
Edited by Yehbe - May 16, 2019 04:56:53

Attachments:
highpoly.PNG (1.1 MB)
lowpoly.PNG (651.0 KB)

Windows 7| 24 GB RAM DDR3| AMD Athlon X4 760K Quad Core Processor 3,8 Ghz | Nvidia GTX 970 4GB
806 posts
Moin,

doesn't look high poly at all to me :-D

Joking aside: First of, you probably need UV maps. You also need to check which way the virtual cameras are looking. If your higher resolution mesh is OUTSIDE the low resolution mesh, the camera bias needs to look “outwards” - et vice versa.
You may also have to play with the projection type (I cannot remember if the simple baker has that option, it's about “closest point” and “uv projection” etc).
There is a new “games tools” baker available that is said to be “much better” (https://vimeo.com/334054222 [vimeo.com] ).

Personally, I haven't had much luck with any of the bakers in Houdini recently. I had all kinds of clipping issues, direction mismatch (with displacement), lack of UDIM support etc. (so I wrote my own baking tools) - subscribing to this thread for that reason, since I would love to use Houdini for this kind of task.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
47 posts
thanks I'll check it out
47 posts
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “<stdin>”, line 1, in <module>
File “opdefgamedev:op/sop_maps_baker?PythonModule”, line 4, in Render
File “CPROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.416/houdini/python2.7libs\hou.py”, line 10279, in cook
return _hou.Node_cook(*args, **kwargs)
OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
Error while cooking.

I get this error, any idea what it could cause that?
806 posts
Argh … Python!

You may have to file a bug report for that, I am afraid. SideFX' support usually is rapid in responding.

(The more of Houdini is done in Python, the more cryptic and user-hostile error-message will become, I fear :-( )

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
47 posts
I have gotten it to work! Another question though, I want to bake the whole sequence, is there an option for that or do I have to go into solvers or something to get it done?
20 posts
Yehbe
I have gotten it to work!
Could you maybe elaborate a bit on how you got it to work? What was the problem in your case? That would maybe help others in the forum. I also only get black textures.
  • Quick Links