Complitly black GUI in Houdini 14

4595   8   2
3 posts
Fresh install of Linux Mint 17.1 KDE 64-bit. NVIDIA Quadro 4000 with 331.113 NVDriver and I have this: Complitly black GUI. Houdini 13 - working fine. It seems that it have some trable with OpenGL but I dont understand in this things (I`ve tried too drivers 304 and 331 - same thing). So any tips what to do?

Attachments:
Black GUI.png (430.3 KB)

7737 posts
First of all, try the latest daily build. Use the Download menu above. Secondly, see if you can turn off anything called “desktop effects”, “3D effects”, “Compiz” or anything like that on your window manager and see if that helps.
3 posts
Ye, I forgot to mention it: all 3d effects in KDE is tuned off. Ill try to install latest build, thx.
7737 posts
Oops, looks like there's been a major animation bug on the daily builds right now that crashes when changing keys.
7 posts
Same here!

I tried fresh installs of Mint 17 cinnamon and mint 17.1 mate, with nouveau drivers, nvidia drivers from driver manager and also installed the latest nvidia drivers from the terminal. All this on two different machines (i7 3930k with double gtx970 and 17 4930k with gtx680, different motherboards etc.).

The funny thing is that when you do a fresh install of mint and boot from usb drive mint starts a test version from usb before you install to hdd. I started “source houdini_setup” and houdini from the terminal. This fired up the license manager which looked fine. After I installed mint with default settings it was black again.

I just tried running houdini as superuser and got this error:
Qt Warn: Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
The license manager started up black
Staff
4177 posts
That's strange, I've been running fine under Linux Mint with a 765M card (with Nvidia drivers).

Just curious, what language/locale is your system set to? I know it's not likely, but maybe there's some obscure incompatibility between H14, Qt, and some other libraries under certain languages?
I'm o.d.d.
3 posts
Problem solved by adding line LC_ALL=C in houdini.env
7 posts
Thanks! That did it for me too
16 posts
LC_ALL=C in houdini.env

What does that env var mean? It seems so arbitrary, how did you know about it?

Is there a list of possible env vars that are useful when troubleshooting Houdini issues, particularly display problems. Are there others not listed in Hconfig -a, don't recall seeing LC_ALL=C

• Quick Links